Asbestos surveys are a legal requirement for duty holders, before any work is carried out on a property, built before the year 2000. Correct asbestos management is needed to comply with the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR 2012) and need to be carried out by a P402 qualified and experienced surveyor. MSS works with housing associations across the UK, one of these is Devon and Cornwall Housing Association (DCH). The challenge was to provide management and R&D surveys and analysis for properties owned by DCH, in line with HSG 264 and 248.
• Project management of the complete asbestos process
• Diagnostic review of their current asbestos management systems for compliance in line with CAR 2012
• A bespoke asbestos management plan and policy
• Emergency response service
• Opportunities for evening and early morning appointments
• Allocated receptionist to book appointments
• Management and R&D surveys carried out by P402 qualified surveyors
• Sample analysis in the in-house UKAS-accredited lab
The MSS project manager communicates with the DCH housing team at every stage. Initial consultations assessed their requirements for a management plan, upon completion of the first draft, it was reviewed with staff at DCH and the contents and implications were explained. The MSS project manager worked with DCH to compile a plan of action for the project, regarding phases and turnaround times. Urgent sample results are conveyed verbally and all reports are sent via email, with further explanations if required. The asbestos management plan is reviewed by MSS every six months, to ensure on-going compliance.